Lead Counsel, Global Trade Management
Nokia is a global leader in the technologies that connect people and things. With state-of-the-art software, hardware and services for any type of network, Nokia is uniquely positioned to help communication service providers, governments, and large enterprises deliver on the promise of 5G, the Cloud and the Internet of Things.
Serving customers in over 100 countries, our research scientists and engineers continue to invent and accelerate new technologies that will increasingly transform the way people and things communicate and connect.
Nokia is an equal opportunity employer that is commited to diversity and inclusion.
At Nokia, employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Nokia’s Legal & Compliance organization (L&C) has over 300 lawyers, contract managers, compliance specialists, and other professionals worldwide. We provide legal advice and support that helps our clients achieve Nokia’s business objectives in a manner that complies with applicable legal and ethical standards and company policies. Legal practice areas include supporting Nokia’s four business groups (Mobile Networks, Fixed Networks, IP and Optical Networks, and Nokia Software), Ethics & Compliance, Litigation, Corporate Legal, Procurement, Intellectual Property, Mergers & Acquisitions and supporting Customer Operations (Commercial Sales) in all regional geographies. A guiding philosophy for L&C is to serve as trusted and strategic partners with our business and functional clients, while also acting as guardians and gatekeepers of the company’s values and commitment to integrity.
Nokia is seeking an experienced trade compliance lawyer to serve as its Lead Counsel, Global Trade Management. This lawyer will be a key member of the Regulatory Excellence team within Nokia’s Ethics & Compliance group. The Ethics & Compliance team consists of approximately 52 lawyers and compliance professionals, responsible for developing and implementing the company’s highly-regarded global compliance program. Nokia was recently selected by Ethisphere as one of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies;” the second time it has been so honored.
Nokia values and is committed to doing business with integrity. Building on this strong foundation, the Lead Counsel for Global Trade Management is expected to drive and participate in strengthening and implementing Nokia’s global trade compliance program.
Trade compliance governance at Nokia includes the Global Trade Management organization (GTM) within Nokia’s Global Operations unit which holds a corporate safeguarding function for the NOKIA group by maintaining export control and customs compliance standards. GTM facilitates international trade by supporting and streamlining import and export processes across the Nokia group and thus ensures smooth inbound and outbound supply by full import/export compliance. In close collaboration with the responsible trade compliance lawyer, Nokia’s GTM manages the relationship with customs, export control and other applicable regulatory authorities globally and maintains the worldwide network of regional and local compliance specialists.
The successful candidate will work closely with all members of the Global Trade Management organization as well various business group and corporate functions, business group lawyers and other internal stakeholders across Nokia to ensure compliance with laws and policies governing trade.
- Advise and provide legal leadership to GTM and business stakeholders on U.S., European Union and United Nations export, import and trade compliance matters and to help strategize Nokia’s business growth as part of its global business operations
- Participate and advise special compliance projects and support resulting trade related compliance program initiatives
- Ensure that Nokia’s Trade Compliance Program, Policies and Processes are fully compliant with EU, US and international export control, sanctions and applicable customs laws and regulations
- Provide legal advise and perform periodic reviews of Nokia’s Group Trade Policy, Trade ICP Manuals and other trade relevant Group Policies
- Participate and advise the GTM unit with respect to trade compliance related regulatory inquiries, audits and assessments
- Participate and advise the company with respect to trade compliance related internal audits and assessments
- Serve as trade compliance subject matter expert in compliance investigations and risk management
- Provide day-to-day transactional legal advise related to customs, export control and sanctions issues
- Monitor and assess customs, export and sanctions related regulatory developments and advise company on potential legal and business impact
- Collaborate with the Government Relations team to promote Nokia’s position with respect to trade related regulatory and legislative initiatives
- Manage the engagement of external law-firms related to specific trade related legal issues.
- 5+ years of post-qualification experience with demonstrated experience in advising on legal issues related to export controls, import controls, anti-boycott, and trade sanctions. A combination of relevant law firm and inhouse legal experience is preferred.
- Previous experience in the telecommunications or technology industry or an adjacent field is desirable.
- Fluency in English is mandatory, German fluency is considered a plus.
Desired Skills & Abilities:
- Strong ability to work autonomously displaying a professional and confident approach with senior business stakeholders
- An innovative, strategic mind with business acumen and the desire to innovate and influence the organization in a positive manner to ensure operational and service delivery compliance with applicable trade compliance laws and regulations
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and the ability to create and sustain lasting relationships with internal customers and management
- Highly organized with strong project management skills
- Ability to work in a global matrix organization and comfort dealing with wide range of cultures, languages, time zones and work styles
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with key regulators and enforcement officials
- Understanding of essential elements of effective compliance programs, including training, communications, risk assessments, audits, concern reporting, investigations, and discipline
- Ability to spot emerging legal trends and risks and proactively develop solutions and sound risk mitigation measures
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed
läuft aus am